"Big thanks for the software! I just started learning Chinese here at the UN,
and your program is just what I need. It lets me follow up what I
learn in the classroom and then explore further."
—Nikolai Galkin, United Nations
The first lesson in the Stepping Stones series uses a short, simple rhyming poem to introduce basic numbers and directions. If you don't understand a single character, don't worry--that's what this lesson is for!
上 山, 下 楼
一 二 三, 上 东 山,
四 五 六, 下 西 楼.
七 八 九, 向 南 走,
十 个 人, 进 北 门.
To study this lesson, just follow the seven numbered steps in the Study Guide below. Click on the link for each step to find everything you'll need.
1. Audio immersion - Familiarize yourself with the sound of the poem
2. Audio practice - Learn to recite the poem, one line at a time
3. Vocabulary study - Learn the sound and meaning of each character and how it is written
4. Vocabulary review - Test yourself on the characters you've learned
6. Reading practice - Read the poem in Chinese (you can do this!)
7. Exercises - Apply what you've learned