"Big thanks for the software! I just started learning Chinese here at the UN,
and your program is just what I need. It lets me follow up what I
learn in the classroom and then explore further."
—Nikolai Galkin, United Nations
The third lesson in the Stepping Stones series uses another short, simple narrative about a Daoist priest who takes care of several monkeys and has to decide how many chestnuts to feed them. It introduces twenty six more commonly used characters.
朝 三 暮 四
有 一 个 道 士
养 了几 只 猴 子，
猴 子 每 天 要 吃 很 多 食 物。
道 士 对 猴 子 说：
“以 后 每 天 早 上
每 只 猴 子
给 三 个 栗 子，
”猴 子 听 了 很 生 气，
于 是 道 士 说：
“那 就 每 天 早 上
给 四 个 栗 子，
晚 上 给 三 个 栗 子。”
猴 子 一 听
早 上 多 了 一 个 栗 子
就 高 兴 了。
To study this lesson, just follow the seven numbered steps in the Study Guide below. Click on the link for each step to find everything you'll need.
1. Audio immersion - Familiarize yourself with the sound of the story
2. Audio practice - Learn to recite the story, one line at a time
3. Vocabulary study - Learn the sound and meaning of each character and how it is written
4. Vocabulary review - Test yourself on the characters you've learned
6. Reading practice - Read the story in Chinese (you can do this!)
7. Exercises - Apply what you've learned
Once you have completed all of these steps and you can read the story comfortably, you are ready to go on to Lesson 4.